On Resurrection Sunday, my father, Dr. Robert E. Baines, Jr., preached his face off!!! Coming from Luke 24 with a sermonic focus on verses 50-53, his thesis was “we ought to be mindful of Jesus’ resurrection and our praise. Here are his sermon’s highlights:
– Something about the resurrection ought to force us out of hiding and into praise
I. Jesus’ Resurrection
- No matter how messy we though Calvary was, the world we live in is messier.
- We need the mess of Calvary to cleanse the mess of this world
- THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE BLOOD
– The blood does more than any law or money could ever do for our problems
– Get your nose out the air, because everyone from the rapist to the liar needs the blood to be cleansed
- While we needed His death for salvation, we needed His resurrection for assurance that He keeps His promises
- His resurrection lets us know that the Father accepted His payment and gives confirmation to His teachings
– We don’t have to be afraid of death, we now know there’s new life in Christ
II. Our Praise
- Hiding (The Disciples)
- Do we avoid full contact with God because we fear persecution?
- Do we hide out of shame for the sins we’ve committed in the past?
- Since Christ has risen, we can come out of hiding.
– There’s no point in hiding from God: He can see you.
– There’s no point in hiding from church folks: they’re sinners just like you.
- Coming Out (The Temple)
- Once you get out of hiding, come to the church house, look past the people and worship God
- The disciples came back to the place full of the very same people who crucified Jesusand worshipped God, because IT WASN’T ABOUT THE PEOPLE, IT WAS ABOUT BEING IN HIS TEMPLE
- Are we capable of focusing on God completely during worship?
– Stay focused on the Lord
– THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE HIS PLACE TO WORSHIP!
– Church folks might be messed up, but at least they’re in the hospital.
- Praising Him (The Praise)
- Don’t wait until your “Sunday” to praise Him!
– He’s been “sure nuff” good even if He does nothing else
– Don’t fool yourself into thinking you’ve had any part of your resurrection; it’s all Him
- God wants lips of praise, but He also wants LIVES OF PRAISE
- The resurrection gives us power to press through our life’s death until He gives us victorious resurrections