Ok, grand finale. Closing night! Friday night…Pastor Phillip A. Pointer of Upper Marlboro, MD and Alexandria, VA just went ahead and PREACHED!!! Coming from Mark 5:36 (Jesus tells the disciples to have faith after Jairus’ daughter dies), he preached on “Need and Interruption”.
Here are the highlights of Friday night’s sermon:
– Oftentimes, our independence is not an issue of arrogance, but more so a reflection of our lack of trust in people and God.
– Sometimes Jesus causes interruptions during His progress, because He wasn’t us to hold on to our faith when things get worse.
o DON’T BE AFRAID, KEEP BELIEVING!
o DON’T LET INTERRUPTIONS BE A DISRUPTION OF YOUR FAITH!
– What God does when we maintain our faith:
1. He Isolates Us From People Who Can’t Help Our Faith (v. 37)
o The closer we get to God, the smaller our circle gets.
§ God takes faith-stealers out of our lives!
§ There is a crowd of people surrounding us just to spectate with the hopes of entertainment with no investment whatsoever
§ He isolates us from professional mourners (those who find significance and even enrichment from our victimization) who are insincere with surface grief only
2. He Makes Contact and Has Conversation With Our Needs (v. 41)
o When Jesus touched her, she wasn’t dead, because He told them she was alive before He even went to her!!!!!!! J
§ It looks dead, but it ain’t.
§ Go by what He says, not what you see!!!
§ TRUST WHAT HE SAYS!
o We can’t sit unmoved when He touches us. Something has to happen!
o We need more than contact, though. We need conversation as well. Contact isn’t perpetual (or continuous, lol).
§ When we don’t feel the contact, we have to hold on to the conversation!
o We have to operate on what we know, not just what we feel.
o He talks to us, touches us and then we get up!
3. He Assigns You to Minister to Your Minister (v. 43)
o God’s miracles are made clear and real when they show up tangibly and physically and practically.
o He wants us to participate in the perpetuation of our miracle (he could have just said that at the beginning and sat down and I would have shouted!!!!!).
o WE HAVE MALNOURISHED MIRACLES! He gives us the blessing, but we haven’t fed it! Real praise is done in the sanctuary of individual responsibility!
o When God makes a way, it’s our job to walk in the way He’s made.